CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Joys and Pains of Running

Who knew that getting into shape would be so hard on the body? :)

So the big toes going numb was from wearing the wrong heels. I went out looking for flats and almost bought some Jimmy Choo flats. But I just couldn't do it. Jimmy Choos must be heels (in my mind) and I don't want Jimmy Choo to cause my feet to go numb so we'll wait and see. They need to be open toe or a square toe and that might be hard to find with Jimmy Choo. The feeling is slowly returning to my toes.

But I digress....so last week I finally ran two miles on the elliptical and somehow hurt my leg. I thought at first it was shin splints but now it's just a pain below the knee cap for the past four days. Arggh. If it's not one thing, it is something else.

But I did notice that I lost some weight after running two miles. And today, at church, I ran into a friend who is training for a marathon. She had just finished a 16 mile run yesterday and oddly enough, her arms were very toned! I asked if she had been working on her arms and she said, "No, it was from the running." The running caused the fat to melt away and her arms looked amazing. I was very impressed that she hadn't been doing any weights and that the running caused her arms to look so lean. Interesting.

The 5K is Nov. 1st. I kinda doubt I'll be ready. My goal was to increase my mileage by .5 miles a week; I'm a little behind due to the numb toes and sore knee. So we'll see.

So my running friends, how do you prevent injuries from running? I have good running shoes, Asics for pronating and have an orthotic. What type of stretches do you do? Do you stretch before running or just afterwards?

1 comments:

Jo Ann said...

You're doing great with training - already ran 2 miles and you've still got a couple weeks to get up to 3.1. woohoo Julie! as far as stretches go, i stretch before running (touch my toes with my feet together, and then feet apart, and finally i pull each leg back to stretch my hamstrings). i used to get random pains pretty often, but i've been running consistently for about a year now and that doesn't happen to me much anymore. i think a lot of the pain/soreness was just from my body not being used to the exercise. the more i kept at it, the less pains/aches i would feel. i hope this helps and y'all are having a great week!